Skern Training and Skills offers support to your organisation in designing, managing and delivering the best apprenticeship provision just the way you want it.

 

We pride ourselves in understanding the needs of the Apprentice alongside that of the business, whilst fully satisfying the requirements of ESFA and making the most of your levy contributions.   

We know that a well managed apprenticeship allows the learner to focus on their career path and the business to thrive on the energy and determination they demonstrate, ensuring their valuable talent is fully utilised. 

SKN_3225_Team_Exercises.jpg

I'm a learner

Why Become an Apprentice?

Apprenticeships are a great option to ‘earn whilst you learn’, enabling you to spend the majority (80%) of your time ‘on the job’ working alongside experienced individuals & teams within an organisation gaining you important industry experience. The other 20% of your time gives you the opportunity to attain further key learning of the knowledge, skills & behaviours to become even more competent & confident in your role, gaining a nationally recognised apprenticeship along the way.

What we can do for you?

Skern training & skills have extensive experience of working with apprentices in a variety of sectors. We ensure your learning will be designed, planned & delivered with you at the heart of it. Our highly experienced training team will guide & support you throughout your apprenticeship, making sure that your progression is on target & well balanced giving you the best possible chance of success at a final end point assessment.

Apprenticeship Vacancies

 

Apprenticeships we offer

Outdoor Activity Instructor

 

Below are details of the qualification defined by the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.

 

An Outdoor Activity Instructor supervises and guides children and adults in activities and pastimes such as canoeing, sailing, climbing, surfing, cycling, hillwalking, archery, bush craft, rock pooling, geology, plant identification, habitat or wildlife walks at an introductory level. They will be supervised while working in a limited range of venues and weather conditions following tightly defined operating procedures.

 

The main responsibility of an Outdoor Activity Instructor is to run a safe and enjoyable activity session. They will:

  • Prepare for the session - Gather information about the participants and resources for the activity.

  • Deliver the session - Brief participants, maintain safety, provide ongoing instruction and encouragement.

  • Meet the session outcome - Support participants to achieve set outcome (such as new skills / knowledge, thrill seeking, personal or team challenge).

  • Close the session - Hand-over participants, return resources and equipment, log any issues

How apprenticeships work

Apprenticeships combine practical training in a job with study.


As an apprentice you’ll:
•    be an employee earning a wage and getting holiday pay
•    work alongside experienced staff
•    gain job-specific skills
•    get time for training and study related to your role (at least 20% of your normal working hours)


Apprenticeships take 1 to 5 years to complete depending on their level.

Levels of apprenticeships

Apprenticeships have equivalent educational levels. Some apprenticeships may also give you an additional qualification, such as a diploma.

Range
Level
Equivalent educational level
Degree
6 & 7
Bachelor's or Master's Degree
Higher
4,5,6, & 7
Foundation Degree and above
Advanced
3
A Level
Intermediate
2
GCSE

Who can start an apprenticeship?

To start an apprenticeship, you’ll need to be:
•    16 or over
•    living in England
•    not in full-time education


You can apply for an apprenticeship while you’re still at school but you’ll need to be 16 or over by the end of the summer holidays to start the apprenticeship.


If you need more experience and if you feel you’re not ready for an apprenticeship, a traineeship is a course designed to prepare you for one.

Apprenticeships in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland

Different organisations deal with apprenticeships in:
•    Scotland
•    Wales
•    Northern Ireland

If you’ve been in local authority care

If you’re under 25 when you start your apprenticeship and have previously been in local authority care, you may be eligible for a bursary payment.


Ask your training provider for more information about what you’ll get, if you’re eligible and how to apply.