The range of benefits outdoor experiences can bring are being increasingly recognised, and as a result the outdoor sector is growing. This creates fantastic career opportunities for individuals passionate about the outdoors, and emphasises to outdoor industry employers the importance of building a dedicated, skilled and enthusiastic workforce. How an outdoor instructor approaches teaching can have a significant impact on the experience of participants, it is therefore essential that employers equip their staff with the right skills and training. Outdoor education is about the people, the place and the activity - and an outdoor education apprenticeship helps learners understand the importance of all three and how they connect. The importance of the outdoor industry cannot be underestimated, outdoor activities can have a significant positive impact on mental and physical health and are therefore hugely rewarding for both instructors and participants. Whether learners are new to the industry or experienced employees, our variety of apprenticeships provide learners of all levels with the skills they need to succeed.
Download our brochure to find out more about our apprenticeshipsDownload the brochure
Working with some of the UK's best
- Apprenticeships are accessible for all companies large or small, and are either part or fully funded.
- Fill key skills gaps and identify developing talent in your organisation.
- Apprenticeships support staff retention and could hold the key to sustainable employment and team longevity.
- Attract the best team of workers – committed, and motivated individuals driven to build a career in this exciting industry.
- Providing internal opportunities can benefit your work culture and provide a testament of strength and employee interest to your company.
- Elevate your business’s potential by providing your employees with tailor-made training programmes, structured learning outlets, and transferable skill sets.
of adults report that being in nature makes them happy
premature deaths are linked to physical inactivity in the UK
is how much outdoor recreation is worth to the UK economy
is the increase in the number of outdoor-related activities participated in across the UK between 2011 and 2016.
- You’ll gain valuable qualifications and skills while earning a salary and not paying tuition fees.
- In the outdoor industry, no two days are the same. You’ll get to participate in a range of exciting and adventurous activities everyday. A career in the outdoors is a full-filling way of life.
- Benefit from a rich work environment, spending everyday in nature will improve your physical and mental wellbeing.
- Outdoor education is highly rewarding, you’ll get to improve the health and wellbeing of others and extend their personal horizons by helping people appreciate and understand the world around them.
- Learn valuable transferable skills such as practical problem solving, teamwork and leadership.
- An outdoor education apprenticeship can set you up for an exciting, and sustainable career with excellent progression routes, whether you are looking to study further or climb the ranks.
- Through your apprenticeship you will have a mentor who can guide and advise you, give you feedback and help you decide what are the best steps for advancing in your hospitality career.
- You will benefit from a combination of workplace learning and classroom learning, and through STS your employer may opt to offer you an added value experiential learning course at one of our 12 training centres.
Outdoor Activity Instructor Apprenticeships
Supervising and guiding children and adults in activities and pastimes.
Outdoor Learning Specialist Apprenticeships
Design, planning and delivery of programmes that provide learning and change using outdoor activities and experiences.
The best fit
An outdoor education apprenticeship is a great fit for you if:
- You are passionate about the outdoors, teaching, and adventurous activities
- Love the idea of using the outdoors to make a positive difference to others
- A team player who is sociable, outgoing and understanding
- Respect the environment and recognise the importance of safety procedures
An outdoor education apprenticeship will provide you with the right skills and behaviours to work in a variety of roles, to name a few;
- Outdoor Activity Instructor/ Leader
- Outdoor Pursuits Manager
- Training and Development Manager